RAF Scampton has had a rich and varied history: from being the base for 617 Squadron (also known as the Dambusters) to housing one of the United Kingdoms nuclear deterrents in the post-war era - the Blue Steel Missile.
You can celebrate the history of RAF Scampton at the station's Heritage Centre. It is housed in one of the original WW2 hangars and contains over 1500 artifacts (including a Blue Steel Missile) which will be of interest to all aviation enthusiasts around the world.
A highlight is the original office of Guy Gibson, Commanding Officer of 617 Squadron, remade to as it was in 1943, and the grave of Gibson's dog, 'Nigger', as made famous in the 1955 film The Dam Busters.
Arranged tours will commence with a guided tour of selected areas of the station, followed by a tour of the inside of the very hangar occupied by 617 Squadron during the build up to the Dambusters raids. Although there are no dining facilities, tea and coffee is available.
Entry to the RAF Scampton Heritage Centre is free to the general public though due to current security measures, prior arrangmenet with the curator two weeks prior to visit is essential. Visit the RAF Scampton website to arrange a tour.