- 0.00 Miles
Walk or cycle the Horncastle & Woodhall Spa Branch Line. There are lots of sculptures to see along the Spa Trail. Created by local artists they are inspired by the area’s nature and history. Look out for the Viking long ship, a diving otter and some botanical gems.
- Distance: 6.5 miles from Horncastle to Woodhall Spa, or 7.75 miles if extended to Kirkstead, where the route meets the Water Rail Way.
- Maps: OS Explorer 273 and Landranger 122.
- Terrain: The first 4 miles is a surfaced track suitable for wheelchair users and families with pushchairs. Walkers can then follow the footpath from Sandy Lane into Woodhall Spa, with cyclists using the road. From Woodhall Spa to Kirkstead the route follows Witham Road.
- Parking: Parking is available near the Swimming Pool (Coronation Walk, Horncastle, LN9 6HP). There is also free parking at The Wong or Pay and Display in the town centre. Free parking is also available at Thornton Lodge, Martin and Sandy Lane access points. In Woodhall Spa there are car parks at Royal Square and The Broadway.
- Public Transport: Frequent InterConnect bus services call at Horncastle on the route between Lincoln and Skegness. InterConnect 5 services from Lincoln to Boston call at Woodhall Spa. Less frequent services link Horncastle and Woodhall Spa, as do on demand CallConnect buses – visit: www.lincsbus.info.
- Refreshments: Shops, cafes and pubs in Horncastle and Woodhall Spa.
- Public Toilets: St Lawrence Street in Horncastle and Spa Road in Woodhall Spa.
This walk and leaflet have been produced by Horncastle History & Heritage Society to mark 50 years since the closure of the Horncastle Railway, with help from Horncastle Walkers are Welcome and funding from Lincolnshire County Council.